Monday 5 April 2010

Make-up of Robert


The make-up for Robert was the most challenging for me as I wasn't sure whether the dark blue - black shades would work, however came to find that they did work and the portrayal of a gaunt, skinny, malnourished Robert was conveyed and demonstrated through his make - up. It can be argued that the most significant display of his anorexia is through his make - up whereas if Robert's appearance seemed normal and skin tone seemed healthy it would then not be clear to the audience to acknowledge his illness and fragile state.




Here you can see I have used red eye -liner to highlight Robert's sleep deprivation. I have enhanced on this by adding dark shades around the eyes creating circles giving him bags. Also I found that I had to use a lot of make - up and repeatedly re-do Roberts as it was melting dut to the fireplace secenes resulting him in sweating. Another reason for make - up touches is due to the on screen off screen appearance. On screen, the make - up seems much less and is not as visually clear whereas off screen it is shown as you would see in these photos.


I used pale foundation all over his face including his lips. No colour on the lips and face can be suggested to appear unhealthy and due to lack of nutrition and vitamin. This is another representation of his crumbling state.


Lastly, I made sure the gauntness of Robert was blatant and striking and even tried to make him look shockingly disturbing. I followed the definiton of his cheekbones all the way down to the lower part of the face. Also, as the film is a lot of the time grey, dull and misty, the film symbolises on the coldness through mise en scen, costume, lighting and make -up.


Through my learning experience during this production, I have come to realise the significance back stage efforts have on filmmaking such as make - up, costume etc as it can be argued that off screen is as much part of the production as much as on screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment